Tel: 01954 204044

Cambridge Landlord Checks

Landlords must take responsibility for gas safety.  These responsibilities are laid out in the relevant gas safety legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 in Great Britain.

There are three specific duties for landlords to keep their tenants safe.

Annual gas safety checks in Cambridge

To make sure that any gas appliances and flue provided for tenants are safe for continued use, landlords must arrange for them to be checked for safety every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer.  If you are a tenant you should allow the Gas Safe registered engineer appointed by your landlord to access your property to carry out maintenance or safety checks on appliances and/or chimneys/flues that the landlord provides for your use. Remember to ask to see the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to confirm they are registered and able to carry out the necessary work.

Landlords Gas Safety Certificates in Cambridge - click to view

A copy of the gas safety record must be provided to an existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the record for two years.


Maintenance arrangements should normally involve a series of regular inspections and any necessary repairs. Landlords must ensure that gas pipe work is maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances and flues provided for the tenants use must also be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances and flues should be serviced in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions but if these are not available, annual servicing is recommended unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

There are no formal requirements for landlords to keep maintenance records.  However, landlords will need to be able to show, if asked, that regular maintenance of the flues and appliances and any necessary repairs have been undertaken.  Landlords do not have to provide maintenance records for tenants.

Landlords do not have an obligation to have any checks carried out on gas appliances owned by their tenants. Tenants are responsible for the maintenance and safety of their own gas appliances. The Gas Safe Register recommends that tenants should have their own gas appliances serviced and checked for safety annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Annual gas safety record

If you do not have a copy of the current record for your property, you are entitled to ask your landlord for a copy. If your landlord refuses, you can complain to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) using this form:

For further guidance visit:

Remember, whenever having any gas work carried out, always use a Gas Safe registered engineer holding the relevant qualifications for working on your gas appliance.